Monday 7 April 2014

London Visit (5&6/04/14)

Last weekend I visited London as I wanted to look around the galleries and museums and had an brilliant time, I arrived in London early Saturday morning as I caught the train at 7am and caught the train home 7pm Sunday night. In a two day period I visited Tate Britain, The National Portrait Gallery, The National Gallery, Tower of London, National Maritime Museum and British Museum. The main things I wanted to do in London was see the David Bailey exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery, see the Turner exhibition at the National Maritime Museum and have a look around the British Museum. I only took my 35mm camera and phone to take photographs on as it didn't want to kart my heavy digital camera around and wanted to shoot mainly black and white 35mm . A key highlight of the trip was the huge pillow fight in Trafalgar Square which I photographed, I went right in the middle of it taking photographs and also shot some double exposures, I can’t wait to get back to Uni and develop the film to see what I got. Other than the galleries (which I will talk about in individual blog posts) highlights of the trip were seeing Roman coins from the time of Emperor Nero and seeing marble statues of Roman Emperors Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus from the Roman period. I also saw armour belonging to King Henry VIII in the Tower of London, this was interesting as it gives a sense of scale and shows his weight gain throughout his life. I wish I could have stayed in London longer as I could only stay in each gallery for a short time if I wanted to see everything I wanted to see.   

Pillow fight in Trafalgar Square. (35mm photographs coming late April)

Marble bust of Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius in British Museum 

Marble bust of Roman Emperor Lucius Verus in British Museum

Armour of King Henry VIII aged 23